Sunday 26 September 2010

Courage - If you don't stand for something (your little someone) you will fall for anything.

[kur-ij, kuhr-] 
–noun
1.
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
2.
Obsolete the heart as the source of emotion.
3.
have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, esp. in spite of criticism.


Bump:
Look upon your pregnancy with acceptance and courage. Accept that it won't always be easy, it won't always be comfortable and it will probably last longer than what you would like but being courageous will smooth your journey. The most powerful tool we have at our disposal is our intuition and listening to your inner voice and believing in your bodies ability to grow your baby the right way (for your baby) is in my opinion one of the most courageous acts. Everyone will be throwing unwanted advice your way, listen, don't listen, read it, don't read it... but for every piece of advice that you come across, stop and listen to your inner voice, if it's telling you to act do so... if not... do as my Mom says and put it in a bubble and blow it away.

Birth:
Make no mistake, Labour and Birth is a process which will test every woman's inner strength and reserve but it is not something to fear. Do you fear being pregnant? Not? Labour and Birth is just the culmination of a 40+ week process. Have courage when facing your babies birth day. I suggest writing a birth plan, if for no other reason but to sort out your birth wishes in your head. No it is not a contract and you must be able to accept a change dependant on your circumstance but know what your beliefs and convictions are going in, because "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything". PS: I wrote a birth plan that my midwives read, they stuck to 99% of my wishes and from the outset of my labour had a very clear picture of what I was willing to accept in terms of interventions and most importantly how my baby was to be treated.

Breastfeeding:
The decision to breastfeed should be made before your baby decides to enter this world. Make your mind up, then stick to your convictions. Have the courage to know that you have made the right decision for your baby, your breasts will engorge, your nipples will be sensitive at first (and perhaps more than sensitive), you do not know how much colostrum and milk your newborn is consuming but know that you have made the right choice. Gain knowledge beforehand, this will alleviate most of your fears (eg: 6 wet nappies a day in a newborn (once your milk comes in, 2-3 for a newborn on colostrum) = baby is getting enough Mother's Milk)*... get the number of a GOOD lactation consultant (I had one, she lifted my spirits by believing in my ability to breastfeed), join a breastfeeding support group and most importantly make sure you have the support of your partner (my husband saved baby girl's and mines BF relationship and I am grateful every day to him for his unwavering belief in me and love for us both). Know that you will have to nurse in public (NIP), have the courage to put your babies needs first. (PS: I have nursed everywhere, from the train to the plane, from the beach to the park, in restaurants, in cars, in the middle of town whilst walking around AND NOT ONCE EVER have I had to endure ignorant comments from strangers, but I believe that this is because I put my "don't mess with my nursling face" on, I believe that nursing her is the best form of nutrition that I can give her and nothing or no-one will stop us).

Beyond:



"Acting in accordance with one's beliefs despite criticism" is easier said than done and you will find yourself questioning your decisions and the reasoning behind them often. I am an attachment parent, I co-sleep, wear my baby, breastfeed, have used cloth diapers and use a bit of baby sign language. Every time I find myself questioning if what I choose to do is right, I watch my baby and I try to see things from her point of view (I listen to my heart and with it), 9 times out of 10 her calm demeanour and often commented upon contentedness and confidence lay my niggles to rest. I hope that by being a little bit courageous, it will rub off on her and she will grow up with the courage and confidence to believe in herself and her abilities.



* LLLI The Breastfeeding Answer Book, Pocket Guide Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment